Thursday, June 18, 2015

My Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS DLC Wishlist Pt. 3: Alt Costumes!

I wonder if this will be the shortest of my Smash DLC posts. Whereas the other two required elaboration, there's not much I can say about alt costumes except that I want them! If it ends up being brief...well, in the words of Iwata, please understand.

Smash Bros. has dabbled into alt costumes since the days of Brawl, where Wario players could choose between his WarioWare duds and his classic Wario Land outfit. This has since been briefly expanded into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, where Olimar can turn into Alph, Zero Suit Samus is granted her Zero Mission shorts, Little Mac was given both his jogging jacket and cool arcade-inspired wireframes, three characters can change genders (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Robin), and, best of all, Bowser Jr. can swap between the seven Koopalings!

Now that's a great start, but why not extend that to the rest of the cast? The modding scene for Brawl has proven how fun the idea can be, and since quite a number of other fighting games do it already, I don't see why the same can't happen here. While the new Mii costumes are awesome, I think it's time to pay attention to the characters' color and costume choices. Here are some of my suggestions.


As seen above, Project M  brings some great ideas to the table. While I don't play the mod, I certainly wouldn't mind if some of their costume oncepts made it into Smash. Ness's Pajamas and Lucas's Masked Man disguise are musts, and I actually kicked around the idea of Shogun Dedede (from Kirby Super Star's Samurai Kirby minigame) before the mod unveiled its take on it. Just imagine those killer eyebrows in sweet, sweet HD!



Pikachu and Jigglypuff would be tough since their alt colors basically are just familiar accessories, so it'd be tough to pick just one or two. In the case of Pikachu, I think it'd be hilariously adorable if they brought some of the costumes from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Front and center is my personal favorite: Pikachu dressed in a Ph.D. outfit. Hey, come to think of it, those are all female Pikachus...hmm...


Unfortunately, my dreams of a Super Bell item didn't come true, so it's time for Cat Mario to enter the stage! I don't care if him standing upright is at odds with the original design; it simply has to happen! If you ask me, I don't think the Cat Mario "vote" in the Character Ballot announcement was a coincidence...


If it's not too much trouble, could Wario and Olimar have their cut colors back? Black-and-white biker Wario was amazingly badass, and he's just not the same without it. Olimar's dark costume was just as cool, although I wonder how it'd transfer to a primary color environment.
Due to Kirby's Copy Ability mimicking his opponents, it'd be rather difficult to pick a new costume for him that wouldn't interfere with his hats. They could just always give him new colors, but I wonder if he'd be satisfied with that? Truth be told, there's still a number of alt colors from Kirby they still haven't used, but think I have a cuter suggestion.



There. Since the inner tube is wrapped around his uh, "waist," it shouldn't come into contact with his Copy Ability hats. There is the issue of the drowning mechanic in water stages, but hey, they forgot to change Pac-Man's expression in his drowning animation, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, those are my most wanted suggestions, and that's still not even half the roster! Hopefully they'll get around to least some of the characters, but costumes for everyone would be ideal. If you've got ideas, sound off in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment