Saturday, December 31, 2016

A Very Special Christmas Gift + A Glimpse into the New Year

Hello, all! Sorry for the holiday dry spell: I was working like crazy with my parents to prepare for our Seven-Fish Dinner on Christmas Eve, not to mention there were my Christmas goodies and a...certain project I'll be sharing shortly.

So what were my new gaming-related gifts? Well, Santa deemed me a very good boy this year, so I was quite lucky to obtain both a PS4 and a brand-new gaming PC. Much as the likes of Overwatch and Dragon Ball Z: Xenoverse 2 have captivated me, there was a certain barrage of surprise gifts that were the holiday highlight. See, an aunt dropped by with no less than three boxes of old games that belonged to her grown sons. There were NES games...SNES titles...N64 cartridges...AND THIS.



Wait, is that...what I think it is?!?


It is!



Yes, that is an Atari 7600. And yes, it indeed came with NO LESS THAN TWENTY DIFFERENT GAMES FOR IT.


HUMMANA HUMMANA HUMMANA HUMMANA HUMMANA HUMMANA HUMMANA HUMMANA

Just look at that collection! The Nintendo-licensed ports of Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. andDig Dug, my favorite Namco arcade game! E.T., the movie tie-in that nearly killed the gaming industry! A number of Star Wars games to fuel my revived interest in the famous space opera! I've certainly stumbled upon a treasure trove, eh?

Now for the bad news: like my recently-acquired Famicom, I can't play it. While the system turns on fine, I lack the proper antenna box and whatnot to hook it up. But for the moment, it doesn't matter: as a collector, all of it was an incredibly generous gift by a very awesome aunt, and I'm deeply grateful. In the future, I definitely plan to scrap together some funds and get that retro goodness going!

Speaking of the future...2016 is coming to an end. As far as the blog goes, I felt it was relatively productive. While I still didn't commit to my writing as much as I would've liked, we not only finally saw an end to Ten Years of Kirby, but produced a number of non-Kirby Nintendo game reviews. I'm very proud of all the pieces involved, and I think they rank among Leave Luck to Heaven's best efforts. My 2017 New Year's Resolution is generating a harder work ethic towards my writing, and I'm already instilling the values of hard work into improving my favorite hobby.

What do I mean? Well, see for yourself!


My basement gaming lounge is being renovated! This was something I'd been planning for a long time, but we finally got into full-gear just yesterday. As you can see, the entertainment center has been stripped bare, ready to house new items (pay no mind to that collapsing shelf on the bottom left; we'll finally fix that, too). Needless to say, a lot of cleaning and heavy-lifting was--and still is--necessary; I'm actually a little shocked things got as messy as it did, so it's all gonna take a little while.

But when it's finished, I'll finally get the chance to show it all off! Believe it or not, there's actually a LOT of room to cover, and I mean that literally, so stay tuned for that!

In the meantime, have a happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment