Saturday, December 6, 2014

Hyrule Warriors Review ~Gaming Grunts~


Review Here

I love me some crossover Dynasty Warriors spin-offs. Oh, sure, they carry the torch of repetition, but Hyrule Warriors was so laced with love that I couldn't help but be charmed by it. I knew I was captivated the moment I nearly shed tears laying the beatdown on my favorite Zelda race: the jolly, plump Gorons of Death Mountain.

If anything, I was more bothered by two significant issues, the most important being the lack of online co-op. Yes, I know Nintendo didn't publish the game in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if their agenda on restricting multiplayer to the living room reached Tecmo Koei. Despite my current obsession that is Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, I'd probably still be up for a few rounds were it compatible with Nintendo's servers.

...and then there's Fi. Why in the hell is the worst character ever created by Nintendo playable in this game? Granted, I knew there had to be some Skyward Sword representation whether I liked it or not, and I figured its incarnation of Impa as well and villain Ghirahim would be acceptable compromises. But Fi? Screw that noise. I kid you not, there was a mission in the game's Adventure Mode where it forced me to use the character while combatting three Imprisoned bosses; in other words, Skyward Sword's worst character against duplicates of Skyward Sword's worst boss. It was torture, lemme tell you.

Other than those oversights, Hyrule Warriors is a competent piece of turn-your-brain-off action and fanservice that I continue to go back to. Looking quite forward to its DLC!

---

And so ends my time with Gaming Grunts! With my college internship course at an end, Hyrule Warriors serves as my final review for the website. While Gaming Grunts had been on a rocky road for the past half-year, I very much enjoyed my time with the site and am grateful for it serving as my first step into the world of gaming journalism.

So where do I go forward from here? The good news is that I've already begun to look at other pages to work at, and I'll hopefully land myself in one of them within the next few months. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment