Friday, November 2, 2018

Regarding Leave Luck to Heaven's Late 2018/New Year's Schedule

Hey, all! Time for that talk I mentioned on Wednesday.

As you know, I've been drowned by manga reviews for Hey Poor Player over the past couple months, and that's thrown a monkey wrench into my output here. Given the thrill of reviewing another medium over the past year, this isn't as regretful as you'd think, but given a) this priority has led to numerous delays, and  b) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's December 7th release set to suck up my attention, I've found myself no choice but to make accommodations for this inevitability.

This isn't even getting into other factors -- sadly, it seems chemotherapy's no longer effective for my grandmother's cancer treatment, and we're expecting the inevitable within two months' time -- so please understand the following decisions weren't solely based around work/leisure.

First and foremost, Hey Poor Player's manga reviews will remain my No. 1 priority. This blog's only a side project, after all, and work is work. To clarify, this deluge was mostly due to VIZ's own delays in shipping thanks to their summer convention priorities -- to illustrate this workload, enough volumes poured in that I eventually reserved those reviews a month after release (typically, their launch months were a set goal). While I'll certainly be better prepared in handling that period from now on, there still remains a hefty amount of manga to review for the year's remainder. In case these reviews are of no interest to you, please make do for now.

However, this doesn't mean there won't be any blog reviews for November and December. For 2018's last two months, I've decided the following two series will take precedence:



It was always my intention to review Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS by the time of Ultimate's launch, and that remains the case. As it happens, the 3DS version's review is very nearly complete and was thiiiis close to making it by October's end, but things didn't work out. You can expect it sometime next week, and the Wii U game by early December. My undying love for Smash Bros. naturally entails a meaty length for both, so get ready to dig in!



 
Furhtermore, we'll be having a Kingdom Hearts Worldly Weekend Blowout. My original plan of wrapping up my Kingdom Hearts retrospective by Kingdom Hearts III's January release will continue as originally outlined. Four remaining games  -- Dream Drop Distance, HD 1.5 Remix, HD 2.5 Remix, and HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue -- will be reviewed by the year's end. Dream Drop Distance was also originally scheduled for October's end and should release very soon.

Other games may pop up here and there, but as everything above will take priority, you shouldn't expect more than two. 

So what does this mean for next year? Some delays on my end, naturally, but to ensure a steady review flow for both Nintendo and Worldly Weekend games, I'll be taking advantage of my NES Classic, Nintendo Switch Online, HAMSTER's Arcade Archives restorations, and the Namco Museum available on PlayStation 3, and engage in retro arcade/8-bit reviews! When given the innate brevity/replayability of classics like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Balloon Fight, these reviews shouldn't take very to pen, thereby lending themselves to a convenient turnover rate!

However, an exact schedule hasn't been decided. It could be anywhere from a biweekly basis to a month, but regardless, I'd like for these reviews to maintain a frequent basis. Given the aforementioned brevity, they may also be shorter than average, but that's not exactly set in stone, either.

So, in summary: Smash Bros. and Kingdom Hearts for the rest of 2018, and Arcade/8-Bit classics beginning next year. When factoring in manga reviews and Sleeping with the Enemy, that's not a bad deal at all, eh? I'm looking forward to it!

Anyway, I'll see you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment