Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Biweekly Music Wednesday! No. 53 ~Now or Never!~ (Splatoon)



Origin: Splatoon
Plays In: Last minute of a Turf War match
Status: Original Composition
Composed By:
Toru Minegishi

A new Nintendo Direct is upon us!! In less than three hours, we'll be basking in the afterglow of newly-announced Nintendo games, all contained in a 45-minute package. We'll certainly see that "multiplayer action" 3DS Kirby game, and Super Mario Odyssey is confirmed for an appearance, but that's hardly a fraction of what's to come. Will we see more of the Kirby and Yoshi Switch games? Is Retro Studios' next game finally around the corner? Is this possible mistake a hint towards Super Smash Bros. for Switch, something I should've put behind me some time ago? Oh, the suspense is too much!

Much in the same way E3 is Christmas for video game fans, we Nintendo fans feel the same about these mouth-watering Nintendo Directs. Announced out of the blue and typically with only two days to spare, our minds race at the possibilities of what's to come. Sure, there's been a disappointing Direct here and there, but how packed this holiday season and even early 2018 are, there's little reason this Direct will leave us with frowns.

Naturally, there's little else to do besides mentally clock down the time. Or work. Or take a walk. Or write a blog post about what it's like to clock down the time while comparing it to an adrenaline-packed Splatoon song. Yes, it's all about Splatoon 2 now, but I don't think that game's countdown theme holds a candle to the original: just feel the pressure coursing through your veins the moment that guitar kicks in.

They say the more you grow older, the more reserved you become when you anticipate things. This is true, but I've come to realize this is only a facade. I remain a starry-eyed kid it comes to new trailers of Mario, Kirby and Smash Bros., I count down the days for the next trip to NYC, and I never thinking about when I'll next get to see my niece and nephew. The Miyamoto quote underneath this blog's title rings true more than ever: I'm just a big kid eager to rip open my next Christmas present.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course; after all, us video game folk are a highly-excitable bunch, so I'm hardly alone in my hype. My anticipation just proves my love for video games remains strong after nearly twenty years, and with my counting down the days until Metroid: Samus Returns (two days!) and the SNES Classic Edition (sixteen days!), the thrill of waiting, hyping and eventual bliss will remain a never-ending cycle.

Final Thoughts: Oh, and naturally I'll be covering the multiple announcements on Hey Poor Player. As the probably of eye-catching announcements is high, I may take the opportunity to discuss them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment